While cleaning out my mom’s house, I came across her old knitting bag.
I loved the design; the wooden frame, the closure and how it could be opened without sitting on the floor. The cover was torn in one spot and the inside pocket was a little worse for wear but the frame was in sound condition. I kept the bag and decided to sew a new cover for it.
As I embarked on the project, I chose a blue floral print fabric that was part of my mother’s fabric stash. I carefully examined how the existing cover was sewn and attached to the frame. I discovered that when initially made, the cover was sewn and slipped on a partially assembled frame. Then the other part of the frame was attached. I tried to carefully pull the cross piece out of the side frame and then spotted the tiny nail holding it all together. I knew I would have to take apart the old cover to use as a pattern and sew the new cover around the frame. Not impossible, but certainly challenging.
What saved the day was my mother’s sewing machine. Hers has a piece that comes off to make sewing sleeves and cuffs easier. So after a quick tutorial on how to use her machine (one with a drop in bobbin winder!), I got to work. A few hours later, I had a new knitting bag, complete with handles for carrying and a snap closure, two modifications I added.
This project was a real tribute to my mother, who herself, was a very accomplished seamstress. Not only did I remake her knitting bag, but I did it while using her fabric stash, sewing on her machine, and sitting in her sewing chair, a chair that fits perfectly in my sewing closet.
I guess this means I will have to retire my old 1975 Montgomery Ward sewing machine.